Flavourful butter beans and kalettes on toast, perfect for breakfast, brunch or in fact, any time of day!
If you haven’t tried kalettes yet, you’re seriously missing out. I had them for the first time in November last year, and ever since I’ve been actively seeking them out. They are so good!
Kalettes are a cross between Brussels sprouts and kale. I love sprouts, but kale can be a hit or miss for me. I don’t particularly like curly kale, but I adore black kale or Cavolo nero. A lot of people don’t like sprouts, and I understand that because I despised them as a child. That said, kalettes are the best of both worlds. Whether you hate kale or sprouts, you’ll love them in this form.
When it comes to toast, beans are by far my favourite topping for them. I’m pretty sure I haven’t shared a sweet toast recipe on this blog. I should really change that, but in the meantime, we’ll keep it savoury with this yumminess that is butter beans on toast.
This recipe is so simple and very nutritious. It has beans for iron, protein and fibre, tomatoes for lycopene, pumpkin seeds for zinc, and kalettes for vitamin C and K.Print
Butter beans and kalettes on toast – perfect for breakfast, brunch or in fact, any time of the day.
- 400g tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves, finely minced or grated
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 75g kalettes, halved
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp Italian mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Vegetable seasoning, to taste
- Toasted wholemeal bread, to serve
- Start by cooking the kalettes in a pan of boiling water for 2 minutes or until half-cooked. Drain then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat and fry the shallots for 1-2 minutes until translucent. Stir in the garlic, cherry tomatoes, and mixed herbs. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the butter beans, vegetable seasoning and kalettes. Cook until the kalettes are completely cooked and butter beans are warm. Season with salt and black pepper as needed.
- Spoon the beans and veggies onto toasted bread then sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds. Garnish with fresh parsley and chilli flakes if you desire.
Use kale or spinach in place of kale, and feel free to replace butter beans with any other type of beans.
- Category: Breakfast/Brunch
Keywords: Beans, Toast, Kalettes