Butter beans and kalettes on toast – perfect for breakfast, brunch or in fact, any time of the day.
- 400g tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves, finely minced or grated
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 75g kalettes, halved
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp Italian mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Vegetable seasoning, to taste
- Toasted wholemeal bread, to serve
- Start by cooking the kalettes in a pan of boiling water for 2 minutes or until half-cooked. Drain then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat and fry the shallots for 1-2 minutes until translucent. Stir in the garlic, cherry tomatoes, and mixed herbs. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the butter beans, vegetable seasoning and kalettes. Cook until the kalettes are completely cooked and butter beans are warm. Season with salt and black pepper as needed.
- Spoon the beans and veggies onto toasted bread then sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds. Garnish with fresh parsley and chilli flakes if you desire.
Use kale or spinach in place of kale, and feel free to replace butter beans with any other type of beans.
Keywords: Beans, Toast, Kalettes