Simple, hearty butternut squash, kale and chickpea curry. Enjoy on its own or with rice.
It is incredible that a lot of people are paying attention to the number of animal products in their diet, and looking to cut down or eliminate them.
Vegan food is readily accessible these days, especially because a lot of the more prominent food corporations are jumping on the vegan train. Every day, one food chain announces the launch of a burger, sausage roll, or some sort of vegan alternative to meat.
These releases are all well and good if you are only concerned about the ethical side of veganism and will eat just about anything as long as it does not involve an animal. If on the other hand, you’re doing it for health reasons, these processed foods will not serve you in the long run. They are great to eat occasionally, but they are no better than processed meat products.
Bowls like this squash curry represent my idea of eating a vegan or plant-based diet for health. It contains vegetables, legumes, and grains. Each food item provides fibre, micronutrients, and phytochemicals essential to our health and well-being. Manufacturers can add fibre to processed foods artificially, but it is practically impossible to add phytochemicals in the exact way they occur naturally to these foods.
You don’t have to be a purist to enjoy the benefits of eating plant-based. Just make sure that you tip the scales in favour of whole foods whenever you make your food choices. You’ll find it easier to meet your nutritional needs, boost your immunity and maintain a healthy weight.Print
Enjoy this butternut squash curry on its own or with a side of rice.
- 1/2 a small butternut squash, diced
- 1x 400g tin brown or regular chickpeas
- Large handful black kale, washed
- 200g passata
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable seasoning or vegetable stock cube
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed ground spice
- 1 red chilli
- Fresh coriander, to taste
- Heat a small splash of water or 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots, cook for 1-2 minutes to soften then add the garlic and all the spices. Cook for 2-3 minutes if cooking with water or fry for 20 seconds until fragrant.
- Rinse the butternut squash, then add them alongside the passata, chilli, tomato paste, vegetable seasoning and around 200ml of water. Stir well, bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for around 15-20 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Tip in the chickpeas and kale, stir well and adjust seasoning as needed. Cook still on a simmer for a further 5 minutes or until the kale is tender and the chickpeas are hot.
- Serve over rice and garnish with fresh coriander if you desire.
Keywords: Butternut squash, curry, chickpeas, kale