Enjoy this butternut squash curry on its own or with a side of rice.
- 1/2 a small butternut squash, diced
- 1x 400g tin brown or regular chickpeas
- Large handful black kale, washed
- 200g passata
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable seasoning or vegetable stock cube
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed ground spice
- 1 red chilli
- Fresh coriander, to taste
- Heat a small splash of water or 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots, cook for 1-2 minutes to soften then add the garlic and all the spices. Cook for 2-3 minutes if cooking with water or fry for 20 seconds until fragrant.
- Rinse the butternut squash, then add them alongside the passata, chilli, tomato paste, vegetable seasoning and around 200ml of water. Stir well, bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for around 15-20 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Tip in the chickpeas and kale, stir well and adjust seasoning as needed. Cook still on a simmer for a further 5 minutes or until the kale is tender and the chickpeas are hot.
- Serve over rice and garnish with fresh coriander if you desire.
Keywords: Butternut squash, curry, chickpeas, kale