There’s no need for fake cheese in this delicious plant-based butternut squash mac ‘n’ cheese.
- 200g butternut squash, roughly chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 small shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Herbs de Provence
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 200ml cashew milk
- 3 tbsp plain cashew yoghurt
- 150g pasta
- 100g broccoli florets
- 100g peas
- Put the butternut squash, garlic shallots, herbs, vegetable stock cube and almond milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the butternut squash is tender then set aside and leave to cool for around 20 minutes.
- Just before the butternut squash is cool, start cooking the pasta following the instructions on the package or until its al dente. Steam the broccoli and peas at the same time.
- Tip the cooked butternut squash alongside the sauce into a food processor. Add the nutritional yeast and yoghurt and blitz into a smooth puree.
- Drain the pasta retaining some of the cooking water. Put the pasta back into the pan then pour over the butternut squash puree. Mix well to coat the pasta evenly. Add the broccoli florets and peas and a splash of the pasta water to keep the pasta glossy and silky.
- Serve with extra nutritional yeast and a sprinkle of chilli flakes if desired.
This recipe works well with other unsweetened plant-based milk like almond or soy. You can also use plant-based cream in place of yoghurt and vegan cheese in place of nutritional yeast.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
Keywords: Pasta, Butternut squash, Mac n Cheese