This family-friendly Chinese-style Tofu curry comes together in 15 minutes.
- 1x 400g block tofu
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 3 fat garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tbsp Madras curry powder
- 3 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable seasoning or 1 vegetable stock cube
- 3 teaspoons cornflour dissolved in 3 teaspoons warm water
- Soy sauce, to taste
- Pinch of sugar
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Sesame seeds, to garnish
- Press as much water as you can out of the tofu either by using a tofu press or by it in paper towels and then applying pressure to drain any excess liquid. Chop the tofu into large cubes then set aside.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan or wok over high heat. Once hot, add the tofu cubes and fry all on sides until brown. Alternatively, layer the tofu pieces on baking paper then bake in the oven at 200ºC (400ºF) for 25 mins, flipping halfway through cooking until brown, then set aside.
- Tip out all the oil from the pan then wipe clean. Add two tablespoons of fresh oil to the same frying pan then tip in the garlic and mix peppers. Fry for 2 minutes, then add the curry powder and fry for around 30 seconds, stirring continuously.
- Add the rice wine, soy sauce, sugar, vegetable seasoning, cornflour mixture and around 250ml of water. Stir well, cook for 2 minutes then fold in the tofu and cook for a further two minutes.
- Serve over steamed rice, garnish with toasted sesame seeds and springs onions if you desire.