Ah, it has been a minute since I made a Buddha bowl! I almost forgot how delicious they can be and how much fun they are to put together. Today, I’ve gone for one of my all-time favourite recipes, chipotle chickpeas, and I’ve served it alongside wholegrain, wild and red rice, avocado, grated carrots, courgettes, cherry tomatoes and baby leaf salad.
Bowls like this allow you to get a variety of nutrients in one meal, but they can be a little hard on the digestive system. Be careful with your portion sizes, and feel free to swap wholegrain rice with white rice if that’s easier for you to digest.Print
Buddha Bowls are a fantastic way to get a variety of nutrients in one meal! This chipotle chickpea buddha bowl is delicious and super easy to put together.
- 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 120g wholegrain, red and wild rice, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 avocado
- 120g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 50g grated carrots
- ½ medium courgette, sliced and steamed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli paste
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin (optional)
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- Small handful coriander, stalk and leaves separated and chopped
- 100g baby leaf salad
- 2 tbsp French dressing
- Start by cooking the rice according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and fry for 1 minute until fragrant and soft. Add the tomato puree, garlic, cumin, and paprika. Fry for 3 minutes, then add the chipotle chilli paste, coriander stalks and vegetable stock cube. Fry for 1 minute then add around 200ml of water.
- Bring to the boil then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for around 10 minutes or until the sauce reduces by half.
- Add the chickpeas, and continue to cook on a simmer for 5 min until the chickpeas are hot then take the pan off the heat.
- Combine the baby leaf salad, carrots and cherry tomatoes with French dressing then serve alongside the rice, steamed courgettes, rice, avocado and chickpea stew.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
Keywords: Chipotle, Rice, Chickpeas