Super nutritious and iron-rich vegan creamy butternut squash, chickpea and pea pasta.
- 170g fresh (or frozen) butternut squash chopped into cubes
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- 83g pasta
- Handful rocket leaves
- 3 tbsp plain soy yoghurt
- ¾ can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 50g peas
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat a good splash of water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, garlic, vegetable stock cube, Italian seasoning and butternut squash to pan, stir well then cook for around 8-10 minutes or until the squash is extremely soft.
- Take the pan off the heat and mash well with a potato masher or fork to form a coarse puree. Alternatively, blend in a food processor if you prefer a smoother texture.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions or until al dente then drain, reserving some of the cooking liquid.
- Transfer the butternut squash puree back into the pan then add the cooked chickpeas and peas and cook on a simmer for 2-3 minutes just to warm the peas and chickpeas. Once they’re warm, take the pan off the heat and stir in the yoghurt.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and mix well to distribute evenly. Season with salt and pepper to taste then serve with fresh rocket and sprinkle with chilli flakes for an extra kick if you desire.
Tip: You can add nutritional yeast when cooking the butternut squash when blending in the food processor or at the end as a garnish. It’s a great way to get more vitamin B12 and it adds a cheesy flavour.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
Keywords: Pasta, Butternut Squash, Chickpeas