Iron and folate-rich buddha bowl
- 100g couscous
- 120g black beans, cooked
- 150g piccolo cherry tomatoes, diced
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- Medium handful coriander, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ small red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- Black pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1 avocado, halved
- 100g kale, steamed with a pinch of salt or vegetable broth
- Cook the couscous according to the instructions on the package replacing water with vegetable broth. Once cooked, stir a teaspoon of freshly chopped parsley through and set aside.
- To make the bean and tomato salsa, combine black beans, chopped cherry tomatoes, coriander, lime juice, chilli garlic clove, and black pepper. Mix thoroughly and season with salt if needed.
- Divide the couscous and salsa between two bowls then add half the avocado and kale to each bowl. Enjoy like this or add some sriracha if you want more sauce or spice.
Couscous is a source of iron, but you can always swap it for another grain of your choice. All beans are good sources of iron; black beans have the added advantage of being richer in antioxidant anthocyanins.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
Keywords: black beans, couscous, tomato salsa