This Nigerian-inspired baby potatoes in tomato sauce is simple and delicious. Serve on its own or as an accompaniment to tofu, tempeh or beans.
- 500g baby potatoes, rinsed and peeled
- 400g fresh or tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fresh chilli or 1 tsp hot chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 200g frozen peas
- 200g snow peas
- Handful fresh parsley, leaves picked and chopped
- Cut the baby potatoes into halves then put them in a pan of cold of water and cook on medium heat for around 10 minutes or until they are half cooked then drain (reserving the cooking liquid) and set them aside.
- Heat a medium saucepan with the oil then fry the shallots for two minutes until they soften. Add the garlic and fry around one minute taking care not to burn them. Add the tomatoes, chilli, oregano and vegetable stock, stir well to combine and cook without the lid. Cook for around 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates and you start to see the oil seep out around the edges of the pan.
- Put the potatoes and a good splash (about 150ml) of its cooking liquid back into the tomato sauce. Stir well and season as needed. Turn the heat down to a simmer, put the lid on the pan and cook until the potatoes are tender. Add the peas and snow peas about 4 minutes before the potatoes cook thoroughly.
- Spoon a generous amount of the potato porridge into a bowl, season with black pepper if you desire and garnish with fresh parsley.
The longer you fry the tomato sauce, the less tart and sweeter it becomes. This step has a significant impact on the final taste of the dish. Fry it for as long as possible without burning it and be sure to stir it frequently once the water evaporates.
This dish is rich in potassium, vitamin C, calcium, iron and vitamin A
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Serving Size: Per serving
- Calories: 475
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 15.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.5
- Carbohydrates: 61g
- Fiber: 15g
- Protein: 15.5g
Keywords: Potatoes, Tomato sauce