This recipe is a fun way to add greens to your breakfast without eating leaves. These pancakes are a great mix of sweet and savoury, while the chickpeas add a lovely texture and a dose of protein.
For the pancakes
- 75g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 5g Your Superfoods super greens powder
- 150ml almond milk
- 1 heaped tbsp desiccated coconut
- ¼ tsp egg replacer powder
For the chickpeas
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 large red chilli pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp coconut or soy yoghurt
- 1 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- Heat a small splash of water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the tomato puree, herb seasoning, chilli, vegetable stock cube and around 200ml of water. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for around 20 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates, and the sauce thickens.
- In the meantime add all the ingredients for the pancakes except the egg replacer powder into a food processor or high-speed blender and blitz until smooth. Transfer to a bowl then add the egg replacer powder and stir until well incorporated.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and add around three tablespoons of batter to the pan. Once bubbles start to form, flip the pancakes over and cook for 2-3 minutes or until cooked. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Once the tomato sauce thickens, add the chickpeas and the thyme. Cook still on a simmer for around 5 minutes or until the chickpeas are hot. Take off the heat then serve with the pancakes and a dollop of yoghurt. Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds if you desire.
Keywords: pancakes, your superfoods, chickpeas