Bored of tofu? Why not give tempeh a go? It is full of probiotics, more available minerals and of course, super tasty. If you’re ready and willing to try something different, give this tempeh broccoli stir-fry a try, you’ll love it!
Chinese-style dishes are always a crowd pleaser, and I’m not surprised because they’re always so tasty and straightforward to put together. I love tofu, and I cook it two to three times a month on average. I discovered tempeh a while ago. It has a meaty texture, and in my opinion, it is one of the best natural substitutes for beef.
The first few times I tried it, I wasn’t so sure if I liked it, but I’m now convinced I do. Tempeh has a strange, sour taste to it, and I think it is because it is fermented. In saying that, I’m not sure if that’s the case with all brands of tempeh or just the one I tried. You get used to the sour taste after a few tries.
If you’re not sure what tempeh is, you can read more about how it is made and its incredible nutritional benefits over here.Print
Super easy tempeh with broccoli and carrots in red braising sauce.
- 200g Tempeh, cut in a large chunks
- 200g broccoli florets, steamed
- 100g carrots, sliced then steamed
- 4 tablespoons red braising sauce
- 1½ tablespoon rice wine vinegar (or more as needed)
- 1 tsp chopped or grated ginger
- Steamed rice, to serve
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, to serve
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the tempeh and fry for 3-5 minutes until it is browned all over then set aside.
- Combine the red braising sauce and rice wine vinegar with around 250ml of water. Pour into a medium saucepan then add the ginger. Bring to the boil over medium heat then turn the heat down to a simmer and add the tempeh. Cook for 10 -15 minutes or until the sauce reduces by half. If the sauce is too sweet, and a little more vinegar until you get the balance that suits your taste.
- Add the carrots and broccoli, stir well and cook for a further minute. Serve the sauce over steamed rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serving Size: Per serving
- Calories: 316
- Sugar: 5g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 32.5
- Fiber: 15g
- Protein: 25.5g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Tempeh, Broccoli, Red braising sauce