No need to order Chinese takeout with this vegan Kung Pao tofu with wholewheat noodles. All the flavour without the greasiness of typical takeout recipes.
- 280g pack firm tofu, diced into bitesize pieces
- 2 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian stir-fry sauce
- 1 tablespoon groundnut or vegetable oil
- 100g broccoli florets
- 25g roasted cashew nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 150g wholewheat noodles
For the sauce
- Coat the tofu in the vegetarian stir-fry sauce and leave to marinate for around 15 minutes in the fridge. In a medium bowl, combine the hoisin, black bean and chilli garlic sauce then set aside.
- Start cooking the noodles according to the pack instructions.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok then add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute to soften, taking care not to burn it. Add the tofu and lightly fry for 5 minutes over medium heat. Once the tofu starts to brown, add the vegetables and cook for around 5 minutes or until the vegetables are slightly tender. Add the sauce mix and cook for a further two minutes.
- Serve over noodles, top with the roasted cashew nuts. Sprinkle with chilli flakes and sesame seeds if desired.
You can choose to serve over rice if you prefer.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Kung Pao, Tofu, Noodles, Vegan